Hw911

GTX 260m for 3d modeling?

Im starting 3d modeling with autocad in about a month in school, so i ordered an Alienware m15x for this. here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

6GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz 1 x 2048MB + 1 x 4096MB

15.6-inch Wide FHD 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED

500GB SATAII 7,200RPM

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I know that the quadro is better for 3d modeling, but not sure why

Will the system i ordered do a good job with this?

Do i need to use different drivers for the gtx 260m? (cuda)?

Sorry I'm a little behind on new hardware.

I'm sure someone here has experience with 3d modeling.

Thanks

Hw911

just so you know the GTX 260m is not really a GTX 260.. its a g92 gpu basically runs at 9800GTX speeds..

quadro's are better for 3D modelling because of the video memory.. quadro's have between 2GB and 4GB of video ram which allows you to render the entire 3D model on the card without using any other system resources..

i would of gone with a bigger display for 3D modeling.. 15.6" is way to small.. would of gone with a 17" with a full size keyboard..

as for the drivers.. just use the standard ones that nvidia has.. they come with cuda added already..

As for the display I'm hooking into a larger external via Display Port to HDMI.

I do plan to build a good work station, but needed something portable for now. (about 8 months to a year) I still need to buy a plotter printer as well for my 2D architectural / mechanical drawings.

Thanks Guys

sirmonkey

Are ya saying it won't really do the job?

I would have gone with the AW m17x r2 with the 17" screen and a little better GPU (1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 4870) but didnt want to spend the extra $400:(

no im not saying it wont do the job.. it will do the job.. just not as fast as a real gtx 260 would.. thats the problem with the mobile market.. ATI and Nvidia do it.. claim its one thing and its actually no where near the real thing.. all marketing gimmics.. but should work fine for you.. just dont expect blazing fast rendering that would of seen on a real GT200 gpu..

the 4870 mobility isnt much better.. if im not mistaken its actually running 4850 speeds but with the same shader count as the 4670..

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9850-built-clevo-m980nu-gaming-laptop-p-2586.html

SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 1024MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 280M's (2048MB Total) w/GDDR3 DX10 Video Cards (User Upgradeable)

gotta love that.. a 3k+ dollar laptop.. and it comes with a whole 2 gigs of ram.. thats like saying.. hey we'll give you this Boeing 777 for a million dollars.. but you dont get any fuel for it..

just to give you an idea of the difference between a mobile gpu and a desktop dedicated gpu.. heres a review of the GTX 280m.. take note of the stats on the GTX 280m and 260m

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-280M-Review.14565.0.html

ok.. heres the comparable card to them in the desktop market..

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3340

take note of the shader numbers(cuda cores) and the clocks.. should give you a better idea of what to expect with the mobile gpu vs the desktop card using the same exact name..

the GTX 280m = a underclocked 9800GTX+ and the GTX 260m = a 9800GT aka 8800GT thats also downclocked..

Yes, I knowes. This be old news ta me bru bru. Been playin the lappie game fer years now. But that's still one of the nicest "LAPTOPS" yer gonna find.

Gotta get yer head outta the "DESKTOP" mentality as some of us need/want the portability/power saving features. :rasta:

Yes, I knowes. This be old news ta me bru bru. Been playin the lappie game fer years now. But that's still one of the nicest "LAPTOPS" yer gonna find.

Gotta get yer head outta the "DESKTOP" mentality as some of us need/want the portability/power saving features. :rasta:

sorry cant.. laptops have 1 use and thats being able to use word processing and browsing the net when mobile and thats it..

and yes i know you know.. but theres plenty of people that dont.. they just go buy what ever name they see on a product and compare it to what they know.. go ask 10 people if they think a GTX260m is the same thing as a GTX260 in a store and see how many people say yes..

9 of of those 10 will say yes.. i know this because i use to work for the pos bestbuy which thrives on uneducated customers..

sorry cant.. laptops have 1 use and thats being able to use word processing and browsing the net when mobile and thats it..

Hahaha. I love it. :D

Don't forget going to LAN parties on your motorcycle.

So this mean you're my new Best Buy hook up? :wave:

Hahaha. I love it. :D

Don't forget going to LAN parties on your motorcycle.

So this mean you're my new Best Buy hook up? :wave:

no i quit that job a long time ago.. stuck around for the 6 months.. got my 40% discount.. bought about 3k dollars worth of crap and walked out.. screw that place.. there is so much crap that goes on behind doors that customers have no clue about..

We don't have a Fry's or anything, we only have a BestBuy here.

I do most of my purchasing at NewEgg or B&H. It's unfortunate that even the local camera shop doesn't carry much useful stuff. I've found a few filters and a replacement shoe but nothing else.

it'll only get worse as people continue to chase the lowest price... I try to buy everything I can locally, even if it costs more... but I am limited to best buy and compUSA, so cutting edge tech pretty much has to come from the net...

I usually get the mobo, mem, and vid from newegg, and everything else locally... but after building 3 very capable G31M quad/9600GSO DC rigs, I was later able to cobble together 2 more from all local sources... :thumbup:

Lookie what the Newegg man just brought me! 25 inches of 2ms glory! :dancepirate3::dancepirate2::dancepirate1:

puuuurrrty....

it'll only get worse as people continue to chase the lowest price... I try to buy everything I can locally, even if it costs more... but I am limited to best buy and compUSA, so cutting edge tech pretty much has to come from the net...

I usually get the mobo, mem, and vid from newegg, and everything else locally... but after building 3 very capable G31M quad/9600GSO DC rigs, I was later able to cobble together 2 more from all local sources... :thumbup:

puuuurrrty....

if there was even anything to support here locally id probably buy it.. but being as how i actually know how bestbuy works in the background and how much of a scam artist they really are i refuse to buy anything from them.. fry's ill buy little shit like cable extensions and crap but other then that i buy everything from newegg.. maybe if fry's actually started treating their employees a little better then dirt.. maybe ill buy more from them.. last big thing i bought was a thermaltake TP 750w psu about 3 years ago from them..