Machupo

Yet another build that took much longer than it should have...

Working in excess of 100hr weeks these days (slept in my office four days this past week -- and that doesn't count actual field time, lol).

At any rate, the NAS is finally complete:

36TiB total, 32.7TiB usable for storage

Runs sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, sickrage, backup for all computers at home (including time machine for my wife's stuff), and sends me emails when it's sick or has interesting logs.

iStarUSA S-915 case (modded) - 17L of volume

ASRock C2550D4I

32GB Unregistered ECC memory

IBM M1015

20x Seagate M9T 2TB HDDs (one big Z2 set) for storage

Silverstone 450W Bronze PSU to push all of the 5VDC needed :)

Wired_SFFNAS_zpssmlyl2e7.jpg

with20fans_zpsmakdkxqi.jpg

They're the first spinner's I've used in a while, so my reference frame may be a bit jacked. No issues, though, can stream 4x HD (don't have a UHD at the house yet) feeds without issue.

As in the first post, they're running as a 20-drive Raid Z2 set, so they can push pretty hard. Only had one drive die so far, not bad for shelled externals @ $65 a pop.

No issues logging in via VPN from here, so I guess they're still working fine, lol.

How much space are you actually using? if you're not hitting close to 30Tb yet, why not just build 12x 4Tb and leave the other 12 slots free to expand with 8tb drives when they become cost-efficient... then side-migrate and you have 12 slots more free to do the same when 16 or 24tb drives are nice ;) Save yourself these constant rebuilds :p

The 4TB 2.5" drives cost me $65 a pop, so only a slight bit cheaper than 8TB drivers (around 150), but quite a bit smaller. And I already had 10 of them on hand, sooooo...

If I run into the wall on this setup, I'll just got full norco

I have been in discussions with icy dock on some ideas for high-density m.2 storage

configurations. They may be releasing a 12x m.2 drive in a 5.25" bay setup soon.

I would probably revert this setup to a couple of those and add in four more docks for expansion down the road :D

I have been in discussions with icy dock on some ideas for high-density m.2 storage

configurations. They may be releasing a 12x m.2 drive in a 5.25" bay setup soon.

I would probably revert this setup to a couple of those and add in four more docks for expansion down the road :D

So what are you using this all for Chupo?